Saturday, December 12, 2009

My Favorite Pans....& Memories....

My favorite pans may not be the most sophisticated, but I think they are the best.  They last forever, in fact, you can find the best ones in antique stores, they are non stick, you don't have to worry about using the right utencils when cooking with them for fear of scratching, they are not expensive (bonus!), and lastly they have excellent heat conduction.    They are old fashioned, which I adore.  (Grandma Inez's kitchen was full of them)  They are cast iron pans. 

I bought a two burner griddle pan a few years back on Ebay, I just love it!  I also have a couple of Griswald skillets, they are antiques, they are amazing for even heat distribution when you're searing or frying.  You have to care for them properly to keep them in good working condition.  You never use dish soap on them, this will remove the natural seasoning that is created through cooking.   Simply fill the pan with hot water, clean food debris from the pan with a scotch brite scrub pad (non soap), dry the pan with a paper towel,  put about a teaspoon of oil into the pan and rub into the pan, top and bottom with a paper towel. Should they become rusty, not a problem.  You have to remove the rust with steel wool & water, rinse well, dry with paper towel & coat with oil.  Place into a 300' oven for about an hour, you're ready to go.

If you have a chance, go to an antique store and just look at all the beautiful utencils and kitchen gadgets, they're fascinating.  I loved my Grandma's kitchen, it was full of rustic & very functional kitchen tools, pots & pans.   She would have me overnight and she would very gently supervise me in the kitchen, allowing me to make messes and mistakes.  I so love her for those memories.  Ok, now I'm teary!  Geeze!  I started out talking about pans and I am now really missing my Grandma.....

Aren't memories precious?

Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment