Saturday, January 9, 2010

Being in touch with nature.....

Growing up, my Mom was always very in tune with nature.  She had the most incredible garden, with plantings specifically to attract humming birds, butterflies, bees (strategically planted at the end of our property) & birds.  She had numerous bird houses and feeders.  She even made her own suet, which I'm going to do in the next week or so.  I will share with you how to make it very soon.  It is basically melted (or rendered)  beef fat mixed with seeds & nuts.  Birds benefit greatly from this high energy snack.

I have a little piece of nature heaven in my back yard.  I have three bird feeders and a bird bath with a heating coil, to keep the water from freezing.  Birds have a hard time getting enough to drink in sub zero temperatures and it requires a lot of energy to eat snow for hydration.  I also put my Christmas tree back there so that the birds have shelter from predators and cold.  Presently we do not have any evergreen type plantings.....will have to talk to Mom about what to plant there.  I call this "Google Judy."  If she does not readily have an answer to one of my gardening questions, she has a book at hand for quick reference, she is truly amazing.

I  have the perfect view from my kitchen window into this little nature haven.  I can't describe how it makes me feel to see the various beautiful birds that come to "Angie's Buffet."  They seem so incredibly happy and they sing and sing.  Regular visitors include Cardinal pairs, Blue Jays, Junkos, House Finches, Purple Finches, Morning Doves, Sparrows, Red Headed Wood Peckers, Hairy Wood Peckers, Chickadees, and I've even had a Hawk.....well, you know what he was doing there!  Geeze!  Anyway, vittles offered to my feathered friends include:  thistle seeds, sunflower seeds, corn, peanuts (blue jays love them!) and commercial suet.  I mustn't forget the squirrels, I've had 14 at one time!  As you may have guessed, their really "chubby."  All are welcome here.

Thank you Mom, for this wonderful gift of appreciation and respect of nature.  It is so good for my soul.

Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment