This recipe is a delicious combination of sweet and spicy with vegetables that have many different textures, so good! Adjust the level of spice according to your own taste. If you'd like it to "blow your head off," add jalepenos at the end of step #5.
Have everything completely pan ready before you begin to stir fry. Let's not forget the rice! Before you begin cooking, put the rice on the stove. If using brown rice, count on at least 40 minutes of cooking time. Begin cooking the stir fry after about 20 minutes. If using white rice, rinse the rice thorougly through a fine sieve. (this will prevent the rice from being too gummy or mushy) Cook according to package instructions. Once it's on the stove, you're ready to start cooking.
Basil Chicken Stir Fry
2 large boneless chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
2 teaspoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 pinches kosher salt
1 pinch black pepper
3 large cloves garlic, minced
For the veggies:
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 small red pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
1 small orange pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
6-8 button mushrooms, quartered
2 cups bok choy, chopped
1 cup sugar snap peas or pea pods
5-6 green onions, thinly sliced
1 small bunch fresh basil leaves
1 small jalepeno thinly sliced (optional, will really spice up the dish, use carefully)
For the sauce:
1 cup chicken broth (Better than Bouillon is great, mix just what you need)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
½ teaspoon chili garlic sauce (you can find in the Asian food section of the grocery store)
Sesame seeds for garnish (optional)
White or brown basmati rice cooked according to package directions
1) On a cutting board designated just for meat, cut the chicken breast into small pieces. Season with salt and pepper and toss well with one teaspoon cornstarch to coat. (this will allow the chicken to brown nicely) Refrigerate until you’re ready to cook.
2) Prepare all vegetables and put into separate bowls.
3) Prepare sauce. Mix cooled chicken bouillon with cornstarch, whisk until blended. Add the soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, and chili sauce, whisk. Set aside.
4) Heat a large heavy non stick skillet or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat until very hot. Add one tablespoon oil and add chicken breast. Cook for 10-15 minutes, or until chicken is nicely brown. Add garlic and cook for one minute. Remove from pan into a large bowl, cover with foil.
5) Add remaining tablespoon of oil. Add the bell peppers, cook for about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and bok choy. Stir fry for about 5 minutes stirring often. Add snap peas and green onions. (add jalepenos here if you wish) Cook for a couple of minutes.
6) Whisk the sauce ingredients until well blended and add to the pan with the veggies. Bring to a bubble. Add chicken back to the pan. Add basil and mix well. Serve over brown basmati rice and garnish with sesame seeds. Serves 4.