I love quick and easy vegetables. The first recipe below is for broccoli as a side dish, followed by the recipe pictured above. The beauty of it is that you can use frozen broccoli. It is frozen at the peak of freshness. No need to buy the expensive"steam bags," this is less expensive and totally delicious!
1 pound package frozen broccoli florets (or one large head fresh, cut into bite size pieces)
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1-2 cloves fresh garlic or ½ teaspoon granulated garlic powder
2 pinches salt
1 pinch dried pepper flakes (optional)
Lemon wedge (optional)
1) Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper flakes, cook for one minute. Add frozen broccoli and cover with lid.
2) Stir after a couple of minutes, repeat until broccoli is heated through. Taste. Adjust seasoning if necessary. Serve warm with a squeeze of a fresh lemon wedge.
Take it a step further......add pasta and cheese and you have a delicious vegetarian main dish or add some left over shredded chicken. Add whatever you like!
1 pound Barilla whole grain pasta
1 pound frozen broccoli florets
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
34 cloves fesh garlic or 1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon dried pepper flakes
1 cup reserved pasta water
Parmesean cheese to taste (about 1/4 cup is good)
1) Before you begin to make the broccoli, cook whole wheat pasta according to package directions. Reserve 1 cup pasta water before draining.
2) Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add olive oil and onion. Cook stirring often until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, salt, and pepper flakes, cook for one minute. Add frozen broccoli and cover with lid. Additional ingredients you can add at this time if you wish:
Left over diced italian sausage
Fresh or frozen, drained spinach
3) Heat all ingredients through, 3-4 minutes.
4) After a couple of minutes add pasta water and pasta, mix well to evenly combine.
5) Toss with grated parmesan cheese. Enjoy!