Monday, March 1, 2010
Magnificent Mini Meat Loaves....
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
1 large carrot, peeled and finely chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 large cloves garlic, minced or crushed
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 lb. lean ground turkey
1 cup quick oats
1 cup leftover brown or white rice
2 large eggs
1 cup water
½ cup ketchup
¼ cup horseradish, homemade or prepared (recipe below)
1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt or 1 teaspoon table salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
¾ cup ketchup
¼ cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons horseradish
1) Line a cookie sheet (with sides) with Reynolds non stick foil. Set aside. Preheat oven to 375’.
2) Add olive oil to a medium size sauté pan and heat over medium high heat. Add celery, carrot, and onion. Cook 5-7 minutes, stirring often. Add garlic, cook one minute. Remove from pan and add to a small bowl to cool. If you have vegetable “fobes” in your house, process the vegetables in a food processor to eliminate “chunks.”
3) In a large mixing bowl, add ground beef through black pepper and cooled vegetable mixture. With impeccably clean hands, mix well. Shape into 6, 8 oz mini loaves and place on prepared cookie sheet. Place in preheated oven and set your timer for 30 minutes.
4) While meat loaves are baking, make sauce. Mix ingredients well in a small mixing bowl.
5) After 30 minutes of baking, top with sauce. (You will have extra to serve with dinner.) Bake another 10 minutes.
*food sanitation tip* disposable gloves area available at any pharmacy. I use them when mixing meat loaf, no messy hands and no bare hand contact with raw meat.