Saturday, June 5, 2010

My Oasis.....



Well, summer is finally here, and are my hummingbirds!  There really is nothing like the beauty of a hummingbird buzzing about your flowers and taking sips of nectar from your feeders strategically placed throughout your garden.  I could sit on the deck for hours, taking it all in. 

I had the most unusual hummingbird experience about a week ago when I was cleaning and filling my bird bath.  (Pictured above with the hummingbird feeder directly above) While vigorously spraying water into the bath, the direction of the stream continued onto a hosta directly behind the bath.  The leaves were swishing back and forth by the force of the water.  To my very delighted surprise, a beautiful hummingbird was going leaf to leaf, appearing to land on her belly and rest for a split second, and taking in sips of the cool water....OMG!  I stood there frozen, not wanting to scare her off and completely take in the experience. 

I immediately "Googled Judy" (any gardening/bird question is directed to my Mom, so this is what I call getting information from Judy)  it was determined that this delicate creature was a female Ruby Throated Hummingbird.  The male, whom I've seen only twice, sports the vibrant ruby color over his throat.

Hummingbirds love red, so we painted our Adirondack chairs bright red and we have many pink/red potted plants.  If you wear red while in your garden, don't be surprised if a hummingbird hovers over you, trying to determine if you're a  flower!

I hope you are able to get your hands in the dirt a bit.  Living in such an urban area, it's really great to feel connected to nature.  Even if you have only space to do a couple of clay pots on your balcony or deck, I encourage you to do so.  Last year Ryan and I planted a couple of patio tomato plants.  I couldn't believe how many tomatoes they produced!

I hope you all have a wonderful and blessed day!

Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment