Thursday, September 2, 2010
Chicken Fajita Brown Rice....
Yet another way to use that brown rice you've squirreled away in your freezer! Doesn't this look delicious? I'm here to tell you, it is...This dinner goes together in minutes. I like to serve it over brown rice as a nice alternative to eating wrapped in tortillas.
Chicken Fajita Rice
1 lb. chicken tenders
1 medium onion, peeled and cut into ½” wedges
1 small red pepper, seeded and cut into strips
1 small green pepper, seeded and cut into strips
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lime, juiced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pinch ground chipotle or 3 pinches of chili powder (chipotle is very potent!)
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
4 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
One batch of Spanish Brown Rice, recipe below
1) Season the chicken with chipotle, salt, and pepper. Heat a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of oil. Place seasoned tenders into hot skillet. Resist moving them around right away, don’t turn until the chicken starts turning white around the edges. You will have nice browning or caramelization this way. Once chicken is fully cooked, remove from pan and place on a plate, cover with foil.
2) Add remaining tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and add the prepared onion and peppers. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring often.
3) While peppers are cooking, prepare brown rice, set aside.
4) Add garlic to pepper mixture, cook one minute. Add chicken tenders and juices on plate back to pan. Pour lime juice over chicken and vegetables.
5) Time to eat! Put ½ cup of hot rice onto plate, top with 1 ounce of shredded cheese and top with peppers and chicken strips. Makes 4 servings. Garnish with baked tortilla strips if you like.
*Add a few shakes of your favorite hot sauce if you like a little extra heat
*Instead of serving over rice, simply top with baked tortilla strips. See recipe below.
*Add thinly sliced jalapeno peppers when cooking the peppers and onions if you wish.