Thursday, January 13, 2011

Family Recipes.....

Mom's Homemade Bread...Imagine how my house smells!!!
This is the bread we sprinted home from the bus for....we could smell it a block away...YUM!

I would like to encourage everyone to continue experimenting in the kitchen. I grew up with a Mom that was always trying new things. I think this makes for children who are willing to try unusual foods and broadens their pallet immensely. Additionally, I would hate to see the fine art of cooking and baking be a lost to the next generation. Use those beautiful tried and true family recipes. Pass them on. Why not make a new recipe a family tradition?  It could be the simplest recipe.  We make Gingerbread Cookies every Christmas.  All three boys totally look forward to it.  It's very sweet.

Go ahead, try new things. Who cares if it doesn’t come out perfect. I had many, many flubs throughout the years. And guess what? I still make mistakes. The more you cook, the more comfortable you become in the kitchen. Soon, you’ll be able to experiment with different spices and techniques. You’ll get there. Just like anything else, practice, practice, practice. 

I’d like to suggest one thing that I just loved as a kid. There was nothing like walking into a house that smelled like something delicious. Warm fuzzies.  Bake a batch of  Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bars or mix up a batch of Oatmeal Raisin Cookies and refrigerate the dough.  Use whenever you want fresh cookies.  Your house will smell like heaven. This small task is a HUGE memory maker, have fun!

I’ve received many emails from many of you telling me of your successes in the kitchen. I applaud you! I’m thrilled that so many of you are trying new recipes.

Please continue to challenge yourself. Try making Kringle or Cinnamon Rolls.  I've included very detailed instruction for you. 

Have a wonderful day!

Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment